Monday, April 3, 2017

A to Z VG RPG Inspiration - Intro

I'm late to the A to Z Blogging Challenge party, but I figure "Better late (and half-assed) than never."

I'm not following the rules of the official challenge because I dance to the beat of a special snowflake or whatever. I'll probably post more than once per day and/or post on one or more Sundays in order to either catch up or work around my meatspace schedule. I might finish up in early May. (Heck, since I'll be out of town in early May, I might finish in late May. Who knows?) I picked my own category instead of anything off of the website because I think my own idea might prove fruitful. I'm not tagging anything or applying for any official lists because I don't want to, although I am thankful for the inspiration provided by the official A to Z website linked above. If any of this makes me an asshole, I apologize in advance.

Anyway, I decided to talk about video games that I think would serve as good sources of ideas for dark fantasy RPGs. I specifically have Lamentations of the Flame Princess and other dark or horror-oriented D&D-type games in mind (including regular old D&D, if your group likes to explore that kind of subject matter). However, some of the things I discuss might be useful for games that aren't part of the D&D family, like Call of Cthulhu, Chill, Dread, Kult, World of Darkness, etc. If it's a scary or dark RPG and it involves supernatural elements, hopefully you can find something useful for it here.

The List (Updated as I post and subject to change)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Blood
Chakan: The Forever Man
Drakengard
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Faxanadu
Gauntlet
Harvester
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Joust
King's Field
Legacy of Kain
Minecraft
Ninja Gaiden
Oddworld
Pathways Into Darkness
Quake
Realms of the Haunting
Siren
Town of Salem
Uninvited
Vagrant Story
Waxworks
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Yume Nikki
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

No comments:

Post a Comment