Here's what I'm considering so far:
- Dwarf Fighter/Thief multi-classed character (True Neutral?)
- Human Fighter. After reaching Level 8 or 9, dual-classed to Cleric. (Lawful Good? Chaotic Good? Chaotic Neutral?)
- Human Cleric (or maybe Fighter). After reaching level cap in Pool of Radiance, dual-classed to Paladin in Curse of the Azure Bonds. Lawful Good.
- Human Cleric. After reaching Level 9, dual-classed to Magic-User. (Lawful Good? Chaotic Good?)
- Human Magic-User. After reaching Level 9, dual-classed to Ranger in Curse of the Azure Bonds. (Chaotic Good?)
- Human Magic-User. Not dual-classed. (Chaotic Good?)
If it helps, the Gold Box games use AD&D 1E rules, more or less.
By the way, I'm probably just going to avoid Hillsfar altogether.