Monday, September 21, 2020

Current Gaming Plans

I've been "volunteered" by my darling wife to run a D&D campaign for a group of her friends who have never played a tabletop RPG before. This will be my second regular campaign at the moment, the other being the LotFP game I've had going for about a year or two. Speaking of which, the latter will probably conclude soon, making way for other games with that same group. And of course, I always have gaming ideas on the backburner I fantasize about that might or might not actually manifest. So here's a quick list of what I'm playing now and want to play within, say, the next year or two.

Older Group - We're hoping to do these in order:

  1. If my players don't throw me any more major curveballs, I expect "Mansions & Mindfucks" to finish up in about 4 to 8 more sessions.
  2. Next, I'm going to run Black Blade of the Demon King as a one-shot or mini-campaign. It's an awesome adventure from Knight Owl Publishing, the creators of Meatlandia, just chock full of raditude and baditude. I figure it'll take about 2 to 4 sessions.
  3. Then, we'll start one of two games:
    1. My Super-Casual Pulp Campaign, or...
    2. A Call of Cthulhu campaign run by my friend, so I can be a normal player for once.
  4. And either interspersed throughout, or after the completion of, whichever option is chosen first, we'll play the other option.
Newer Group - I haven't decided which of these I want to run.

  1. I could run an OD&D game using the wonderful new fan supplement Lost Carcosa, written by the author of the excellent blog The Bogeyman's Cave, or...
  2. I could give my BX25 house rules a spin (along with my new copy of Old-School Essentials), maybe in conjunction with some obscure campaign setting just for flavor. (I have a reputation for extreme nerdery to uphold, after all.) Pelinore? Thunder Rift? The Hollow World within Mystara?
Wish List:

  1. I've got to get some Mothership in my life! It's bound to scratch that SF-horror itch for me, and it just looks so damn fun and creative and easy to run.
  2. Likewise, I want to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1E if I get the chance! I love the setting of the "Old World" and a lot of the idiosyncratic rules and features like the career system, the critical hit tables, and CHAOS. I'd also settle for 4E, since I was pretty impressed by what I saw in the starter box.
  3. I'm still eager to run Thieves' World! I considered using it as the setting for the new group, but I think it might be a bit too dark and unusual to serve as the first RPG experience of a whole bunch of people I don't know very well yet. Something more typical might be in order as an introduction to D&D. If they've been hearing about what D&D is like from other people before now, they probably heard from people who play 5E or Pathfinder, so there's a good chance they'll initially want elves and the titular dragons and such, which is certainly reasonable. Besides, I'd like to catch up on the fiction (the short stories and comics, at least) before trying to run the setting. So onto the "low priority" pile this goes...sigh...
  4. There are actually a whole bunch of other "types" of D&D I'd like to try out and tinker with. This might be the subject of a new post soon, so stay tuned.

Happy nerdy wife, happy nerdy life. Courtesy of http://deathgenerator.com/

4 comments:

  1. I'm very intrigued by Mothership myself, so I'm keen to see what you think of it in play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely let you know! Between the rulebooks and modules and other stuff I've looked at so far, it's certainly got me pumped. The art and layout are great, and despite being streamlined the game is packed with cool details and ideas.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I have a habit of volunteering him for fun events. But at least I ask after I volunteer you, right Honeybee?

    ReplyDelete